Thursday, September 20, 2012

Braided Valentine Quilt

I just got back from a very fun Portland Modern Quilt Guild meeting, and I am all jazzed up!  So, to wind down a bit, here is a fun blog post.

My sister Nikki (hey sis!!) made this adorable braid quilt.  The pattern is from the book Jelly Roll Quilts, which if you don't own, you should, because every pattern is adorable, and I know you all have a jelly roll stashed somewhere :)
Nikki used an adorable Valentine's day themed jellyroll to make this quilt.  It's a lapsize quilt, so I offered to quilt it for her.  Since I had recently purchased and drooled all over the book Free Motion Quilting by Angela Walters, I was dying to try the new patterns!
I did the swirl design and had sooooo much fun with it.  I told my sister she can't complain if my swirls are wonky, because she didn't have to pay me LOL!  As I progressed the swirls turned out perfectly, it was fantastic!  I use my regular sewing machine to do this you guys, so if you are thinking you need a long arm, you do not!   It takes practice, but it is worth it, promise.
So, my advice is buy the books Jelly Roll Quilts & Free Motion Quilting :)  Your life will be better for it.

P.S.  The Portland Modern Quilt Guild featured me on their blog, how fun is that??  Go check it out here: Member Spotlight: Heather Lott

2 comments:

CathyK said...

Great job by both you and your sister! I have that Jelly Roll book! You have inspired me to pull it out!

Linda said...

Such a pretty quilt! Love the design you used on it! Are you still quilting with your Babylock? The Janome dealer tried to convince me theirs is better, but it doesn't seem to have as long a base as yours. What was your model again?