Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Orange & Aqua Baby Quilt

So, I tend to hold onto certain fabrics that I love, until the right project comes along that I think is worthy of using the fabric in. This fabric has little gold fish in bags, and they have cute names written underneath them. The fabric is by Heather Ross, who I have grown to love. Her fabric designs are adorable. There is about a yard and a half left still, it will take something else to get me to use more :) This fabric was my base to go off of. I have slowly gathered orange and aqua fabrics for the past year, that matched the goldfish. It finally all came together. This quilt is for a friend who is having a boy in June. I had some left over aqua flannel that I used for the backing. It’s about 48” x 52”. So, it’ll be good to use for several years. I quilted it with white thread and did loop-de-loops quilting on it. This pattern was so simple. I used a pattern from the Spring 2010 Quilts & More magazine. I made it smaller, and changed the width of the sashing so it’d show the fabrics better. There will be more of these baby quilts in my future, all of my friends and cousins are having babies. Love it!

I am getting ready for my sister and her baby Lilyanne to visit us next week. They are staying for two weeks, and I can’t hardly wait. She’ll be here for spring break :)

14 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Isn't that sweet, sweet, sweet? Love it, the colors, the sashings, the loop de loops, EVERYTHING! Gorgeous!

P.S. There is a beginning quilting class taking place at the shop that where I bought my new Janome Magnolia at starting in May...guess what?! :)

happy zombie said...

Oh how cute!!!! I must show this to my friend Karen... her quilt studio is in aqua and orange!

Anna Lena Land said...

My favorite colors! And I love what you did with them. The quilt is adorable. I hadn't seen the goldfish print, but I'm in love with it. I had a lot of goldfish growing up--Goldie #1, Goldie #2, Goldie #3. Do you see a pattern here?? I also had a cat!

Lurline said...

So gorgeous and modern! I'm glad you allowed the fabrics to do the talking!
Hugs - Lurline♥

mainely stitching said...

Oooooh! Squeal! I just LOVE it!

Sherry said...

what a great quilt for a boy! I love the colors.

Karan said...

Oh this is an adorable baby quilt - love everything about it. :0)
Looks like you had a great weekend away too. :0)

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

Cute quilt! There is so much cute stuff on your blog. Glad you stopped by mine so I could find you. And it looks like we are neighbors. :)

KarenV said...

Love those cute little goldfish! Great colours, it turned out just right!

Linda said...

I love your quilt so much. I think it is much cuter than the one in the magazine. I'm going to make my niece's new baby a version in your dimensions out of some bold brights I have. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lennu said...

Oh Heather, what a beauty! Such a cheerful quilt and those fabrics are great :) Have a very happy weekend!

kady neu said...

Hi Heather; I just found your website; great stuff. I'm just re-entering the quilting experience after about 20 years. I notice you've used flannel as a backing; I've considered that for some current quilt tops that are ready to put together--is shrinkage an issue with two different fabric types?

Unknown said...

this quilt is toooo cute!! I'm sooo following you now to see what other clever ides you come up with!! ;)

xo, Heather

MysteryKnitter said...

Awesome quilt.